Thursday, September 24, 2009

Daycare difficulties

Last week, I went back to work two days a week until the end of the year, at which time I will have to go back to full-time. Zachary started daycare at a wonderful school that I really liked. Unfortunately, Zachary doesn't seem to have the same feelings.

He has been getting so upset that he will throw up. Despite his wonderful eating at home, he has a hard time settling down to eat at the school. Also, the loud noises of the other kids seem to be setting him off.

This week, after consultation with the director, I have taken him every day- sort of an immersion therapy, with the thought that it is too difficult for him to adjust with the big time lapse between Thursday and the following Tuesday. I don't know that it's made a difference.

I am having a terrible time leaving my poor little man, knowing how miserable he is. He also is all messed up at home- exhausted, but not sleeping well. I keep being told that it will get better, but it is difficult to even imagine that at this point.

2 comments:

Barb said...

So sorry. :(

E said...

has it gotten any better? I've heard it can take up to a month before kids adjust to new child care arrangements, and especially if it's not every day. Erin had about a 2.5 week adjustment, going 2 days a week, this August. It was rough, and she still doesn't love it, but better. I know the guilt though, it's so hard to leave a clearly upset child in the hands of people he's not familiar with...so many mornings of being close to tears as I drove off the work after dropping off a screaming Timothy at day care (also 2 days a week back then). You'll get through this. And you'll cherish the times when you are back together again even more than ever. And soon, he may even like it so much that he'll cry when he has to leave daycare! (that's adds a whole other dimension to working mommy guilt)