Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Little vampires

So, poor Zachary was bitten at school twice last week and then on Thursday he did the biting of the kid who bit him, so three incidents in four days (he only goes 4 days a week). I understand this is normal behavior for this age and wasn't too concerned about it.

But then I got another call this morning that he had been bit again by a different kid, this time on the face. Again, I understand that these things happen. But I feel that this level of biting rather than an isolated incident or two requires me to perhaps say something or at least inquire as to what is being done as far as prevention. I feel that it may be a lack of supervision issue.

One of the teachers left last week (abruptly- don't know if she was terminated or left) and I have not been a big fan of one of the two remaining teachers. And I wonder if this is part of the issue or what.

Zachary only has another five weeks in this class until he is transitioned to an older class, so perhaps it's not worth making a stink over? Now, I am wondering if I should start the process of putting him another school now rather than after the baby is born since that is inevitable as we cannot afford two in the current place.

It's always something, isn't it?

2 comments:

Barb said...

Yes it is. :)

I think it's definitely worth having a little meeting over.

E said...

just catching up on your blog. The daycare should definitely be taking EACH incident seriously...yes, this does happen in this age group, but a recurring issue should be addressed, perhaps more supervision of the biters. Is it possible to have him moved up slightly earlier to the other room?

As for looking for a new place earlier, not a bad idea, not specifically cuz of the biting, but the transition to having a new baby around could be hard enough on Z, so if he's already acclimated to a new place when baby comes, and if he's continuing there, that's 1 less transition to handle when baby comes. on the other hand, if you were planning on waiting a while until the baby is older, then maybe by then Z would've already adjusted to no longer being an only child. I just think the less transitions all at once, the better.