Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pumping like a fiend and hearing subliminal voices

Because of low blood sugar at birth (thanks to my gestational diabetes), Zachary was given a bottle of formula right away. He apparently thought the bottle was the greatest invention ever since it requires very little effort to get to the good stuff and breastfeeding has been too troublesome for him to learn as he is an "impatient eater." Even the lactation consultant was at her wit's end because when he gets hungry he wants to be fed yesterday.

My supply has not kept up with his voracious needs but I am pumping and thanks to the suggestion of the lactation consultant- "power pumping." I swear the pump is sending me subliminal messages. I just know it is beating out a different message each time I turn it on. Sometimes, I hear "lactate, lactate." Other times, it is "Zachary, Zachary." And occasionally, there are some made-up words. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation? Or maybe the thing is possessed?

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

no i love that you think the same thing while pumping. I thought my pump said "boobie milk" and hurry up, hurry up ... or your doing a good job, doing a good job .....

Keep it up. MT was like that impatient feeder and given a bottle for the same reasons. I tired to get him to latch when he was not so ravenous and about 6 weeks old. He finally got the hang of it.

Keep up the great work - but if it ever gets too overwhelming, you can always stop.

Tara said...

HA! Yes, when it's 4am and I'm sitting on the couch pumping I hear things coming from the pump too!! Except for some strange reason I hear tunes to old Tom Jones songs...

Clearly I am sleep deprived